The government has updated the Safe Use of Places of Worship to include details of how restrictions will be lifted for churches. As more information is released, we will update the information below. The key changes involved in each of the remaining Steps include:
From Step 1- 29 March (link to roadmap poster)
Up to 6 people, or two households, can gather outdoors including in private gardens
- Weddings and civil partnership ceremonies can take place with up to 6 people
- Funerals remain limited to 30 people
- Wakes are limited to 6 people
- Singing Indoors: – a single small group of singers will be allowed to perform, or rehearse for
- performance, only where essential to an act of communal worship. This should be limited to as few
- singers as possible, with social distancing being maintained at all times. Communal singing should
- not take place.
- Singing Outdoors, in the grounds or the outside space of a place of worship: When communal
- worship takes place outdoors, the congregation may join in with singing, and should follow the
- principles set out in the performing arts guidance. People can gather in groups of up to six or two
- households. A 'household' can include a linked support bubble.
From Step 2 – no earlier than 12 April
Funerals remain limited to 30 people
- Weddings and civil partnership ceremonies, wakes and wedding receptions and wakes are limited
- to 15 people
- Church council meetings can be held in the building
- Children and youth activities are allowed
- From Step 3 – no earlier than 17 May
- Up to 6 people, or two households, can gather indoors
- Most significant life cycle events can resume, limited to no more than 30 people. This will include
- events such as weddings, wakes, private baptisms, naming ceremonies and stone setting
- Wedding receptions can also proceed with up to 30 people
- Step 4 – no earlier than 21 June
At Step 4, the government aims to remove all limits on life cycle events and other gatherings. This will be subject to the outcome of the scientific Events Research Programme, which will include a series of pilots using enhanced testing approaches and other measures to run events of larger sizes.
You will notice that there has not been any guidance in this latest missive as to when we will be allowed to sing in Church, I will monitor the situation, and keep you informed.
Please note: Adult indoor group sports and exercise classes can restart under Step 3.
With every blessing
Minister Bare, Torrisholme and Wesley Methodist Church
District and Circuit GDPR Champion
Circuit Covid Information Coordinator